Pages

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Favorite Hymn

My friend Mark was in town this weekend and we were talking about some of the old hymns that are so rich in meaning and in the Word of God. I was introduced to a new one that is simply amazing. I wanted to share, and hopefully you can add to the list.

Words by: Charitie L. Bancroft, 1863

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea.
A great high Priest whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in Heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free.
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
King of glory and of grace,
One in Himself I cannot die.
My soul is purchased by His blood,
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Savior and my God!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we used to do this song at my old church. i dunno if the melody is the same as the hymn, but here's the one we did: http://www.higherpraise.com/lyrics1/BeforeTheThroneOfGodAbove.htm

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Hymn Jon & Jen:
here is one
O GOD MY FAITHFUL GOD, TRUE FOUNTAIN EVER FLOWING WITHOUT WHOM NOTHING IS, ALL PERFECT GIFTS BESTOWING, GIVE ME A HEALTHY FRAME, AND MAY I HAVE WITHIN. A CONSCIENCE FREE FROM BLAME. A SOUL UNSTAINED BY SIN. GIVE ME THE STRENGTH TO DO WITH READY HEART AND WILLING, WHATEVER YOU COMMAND, MY CALLING HERE FULFILLING, HELP ME DO WHAT I SHOULD WITH ALL MY MIGHT AND BLESS THE OUTCOME FOR MY GOOD, FOR YOU MUST GIVE SUCCESS THE LAST 2 VERSES ARE JUST AS WONDERFUL*****LOVE MAMA

Jen said...

Here's one of my favs-- it's long, but powerful.

In Christ Alone
In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song;
This Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
Here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone! – who took on flesh,
Fullness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness,
Scorned by the ones He came to save:
‘Til on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied –
For every sin on Him was laid;
Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay,
Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again!
And as He stands in victory
Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine –
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life’s first cry to final breath,
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
‘Til He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I’ll stand!